Nomaco Inc has been named as one of the winners of the Triangle Business Journal’s first-ever Family Business Awards. As explained by the TBJ, “the awards recognize family-owned, as well as closely held businesses, in the Triangle for overall excellence, innovation, ethics, philanthropy and contribution to the strength of the region.” Nomaco is one of 19 Raleigh-area companies recognized as winners of the Family Business Awards.
“On behalf of my family and our company, we are honored that Nomaco has been selected for this inaugural award,” said Marc Noël, founder and executive chairman of Nomaco. “The Noël family’s vision for this company is that it will always be a family business, with leadership and involvement passed down through the years.”
Echoing his father’s sentiments, Mike Noël explained: “The family is in the business, and the business is in the family. We see the company and associates as extended members of our family itself. Our desire is to provide sustainable growth for our company and all associates for generations to come.”
Nomaco was founded by Noël in June of 1979. He and his wife, Cecile, emigrated from Belgium to establish the company, and their young family, in the United States, full-filling a long-held dream of Marc’s father and founder of NMC sa, Gert Noël, to bring residential pipe insulation to this country.
Throughout the last four decades, Nomaco has become a leader in the design and extrusion of custom engineered foam products and components for a wide range of markets including construction, insulation, home furnishings, packaging, fitness & recreation and more. The company’s many market-changing many innovations have included:
- Pipe Insulation – Nomaco brought the first direct extruded, flexible foam pipe insulation to the residential market in the United States. Today with more than 35 years of proven performance, these are the most widely specified plumbing insulation products for residential and light commercial applications in the US.
- Backer Rod – Finding immediate success in the insulation business, Nomaco soon expanded the product portfolio to include foams for use in concrete construction. The latest introduction, Nomaflex, is a closed-cell polypropylene foam product that is setting a new standard of performance in concrete expansion and contraction joint material. Nomaflex performs better, installs faster and results in less waste for distributors and installers.
- Synthetic wine closures – Nomaco developed the original Nomacorc®, today the world’s best-selling brand of wine closures. Nomacorc LLC became a separate company in 1999 and it has since changed the way winemakers around the world think about making and protecting their wines.
- Pool noodles and rollers – Nomaco was instrumental in the creation and development of foam extrusions used as water toys and exercise/wellness products.
- Bedding – When the single-sided mattress revolution began, Nomaco partnered with the industry leader, introducing an entirely new, patented, innovative design utilizing high-performing foam profiles that resulted in improved performance, market differentiation, cost savings and significant sales growth.
Today, Marc continues to be actively involved in the guidance of Nomaco as executive chairman, with Lars von Kantzow leading the company as president and chief executive officer. Marc and Cecile Noël’s three adult children, Judith Noël Devins, Mike Noël and Wendy Noël Brugh, make up the third generation of the family ownership. Judith and Mike are presently involved with the company’s Board of Advisors with Judith serving on Nomaco’s Human Resources Council and Mike serving as Chair of the Innovation Council. Cecile and Wendy are actively involved at the family’s holding company level.
Also in Corporate:
Nomaco Inc. received its ninth consecutive Gold Safety Award from the North Carolina Department of Labor at the Department’s Annual Awards Banquet on Friday, May 31, 2019. The NCDOL Safety Awards… Read More
With the new year, Nomaco's leadership transitioned to JP Hill following the retirement of Lars von Kantzow. JP is now President & CEO of Nomaco, as well as Noël… Read More